Feature Requests

If you’ve got a feature request, you’ve come to the right place! Please relay your request request here, along with any additional details you think might be helpful.

This is not the spot for feedback on current features, only new plausible ideas will be considered. Please be courteous of others and upvote if you believe strongly enough in an idea!

What features do you want to see added to Mailgun?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Increase the max retry time (of soft bounces at least)

In case of soft bounce it can be expected that email should go through. The current maximum retry time of 8 hours is too short if there is lots of email sent. Retry time doesn't scale well in case if most email sending is done during the office hours. Morning emails might be dropped before the less trafic nightly hours. Below is an ESP throttling response from Hotmail

ESP throttling: X → Y 'Z' Server response: 421 421 RP-001 (BAY004-MC2F19) Unfortunately, some messages from IP weren't sent. Please try again. We have limits for how many messages can be sent…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Feature Enhancements  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Automatic conversion of HTML to text for outgoing messages

If no text portion of an email is submitted, automatically make one from the html portion. This should help with deliverability. The parse incoming seems to do this now according to the documentation so you may already have routines to do this.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  HTML  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add multiple API Keys or Sub API Keys to be used for commercial software distribution.

I have some software nearing completion and it will be distributed to customers on a subscription basis. A few customers would also like the host the software themselves. Maintaining multiple API Keys that link to the one account allows us to control our customer's usage should the subscription expire and prevent us from giving them our API key.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  New Idea  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Support developers - let them view emails sent via your servers (in dev mode)

It'd be oh-so-useful to use MailGun like http://mailcatcher.me/, http://papercut.codeplex.com/ or http://mailtrap.io/ when developing software - you've got most of the infrastructure in-place already!

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Dev Suggestion  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  New Idea  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Per-link analytics for click tracking

Being able to track opens and clicks and consume that data via the Analytics dashboard is awesome. However, most emails that we send out contain multiple links - e.g. for account activation, homepage, featured blog post, social links, etc.

I would like to be able to have analytics on a per-link basis. Mailchimp allows this, see https://i.imgur.com/2iIocrv.png.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Node/Meteor devs need Ability to assign Recipient Variables for batch sending

There's currently no direct way to assign recipient variables for batch sending using Node/Meteor. I'm using the sendRaw method, and I can assign other fields like "to" and "subject," of course, but I can't assign "Recipient-Variables."

I did some googling and found that other devs have the same issue. It can be done with other languages, but it's desperately needed for Node and Meteor.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Dev Suggestion  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Template Variable Logic

Allow logic to be included in templates to make decisions based on template variable data.

Example:
    {% if %recipient.name% %}
    Hi, %recipient.name%!
    {% else %}
    Hi!
    {% endif %}

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Dev Suggestion  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Send logs into aggregators like Papertrail

I would love the ability to hook up my Mailgun account to a service like Papertrail (https://papertrailapp.com) so I can get access to emails more than 30 days old. We've had half a dozen cases in the last few weeks where we've needed to see if a receipt email was received, but since it was more than 30 days ago, we're out of luck.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  External Integrations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Automatic HTML style inlining

Hi there.

When designing HTML emails, having to use inline styles (style="xxxx") instead of CSS classes is a right old pain.

There are tools and libraries that can take a HTML document, and automatically 'inline' the CSS styles. E.g. http://beaker.mailchimp.com/inline-css

It would be AWESOME if there was an option to apply this transformation to a HTML email before it gets sent....

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  HTML  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Please add support for assigning a specific attachment to each recipient in batch sending.

At this time Mailgun does not provide support for sending user specific attachments in batch mailing. Please add the support for that. In case of sending thousands of emails, we have to call the mailgun APIs thousands of times which does not look a valid approach. And we can't send URL of the attachments in the emails because the attachments files are stored temporarily on the server and it's confidential.

Adding this feature will be very helpful.

Thanks a lot.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Dev Suggestion  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Disable click tracking on specific links

It would be great to add the ability to disable click tracking only for some specific links in an email.

In know that you can disable click tracking for all links in an email, but I couldn't find anything about doing it only for a specific link.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Feature Enhancements  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Expose the "in reply to" node in your Zapier integration.

The Zapier integration desperately needs the "in reply to" node exposed for logic such as ticketing systems.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Internal Integrations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Set up email addresses for simulating various outcomes

It would be really useful if I could simulate certain delivery outcomes in mailgun by using some special/reserved email addresses you've implemented.

For example, I'd like to be able to specify something like "bounce@test.mailgun.com" as a recipient, and have mailgun instantly treat the message as a bounce and notify my webhook.

Some of your competitors provide this functionality to their customers, e.g. http://docs.aws.amazon.com/ses/latest/DeveloperGuide/mailbox-simulator.html

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. API keys

Can't find the API settings now!!

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Dev Suggestion  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Support SAML SSO

Support SAML SSO as well as oAuth or OpenID

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. U2F 2 Factor Auth (Yubikey)

Implement U2F/Yubikey support for 2 factor auth.

This will enable people who can't use their phones in the office, but can use hardware tokens, to take advantage of the 2 factor auth you just implemented.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  External Integrations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Allow system-enforced BCC by domain

Provide a mechanism to BCC or forward a copy of every message to a mail archival service (smtp address). This might be applied as a ROUTE rule or a separate facility.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Feature Enhancements  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Force delivery address to aid development (per-domain)

When developing, I want to capture all emails - and have peace of mind that no one can possibly be spammed.

Some web frameworks allow you to force the delivery address for emails sent in dev mode; this is very useful (particularly when debugging problems on a live dataset) to ensure no one is spammed.

However to be really confident we need to do it server-wide. it's possible to do this via exim/postfix, but our devs aren't exim/postfix gurus and we've found it error prone (even with templates/docs)

Being able to plug in a Mailgun domain's SMTP details and know…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Feature Enhancements  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Implement email notifications about selected issues

There are some delivery issues which usually warrant manual inspection and care by the administrative users. I feel that continuing to send emails to addresses that have ended up in the Bounces list would at least be one of them.

It would be convenient if the user could select certain common delivery issues like this and get a notification about them emailed to a specified email address. This email address could then be a mailing list for administrative personel who could look in to the error and see it they should act upon it.

It is possible to implement this…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Dev Suggestion  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base