Feature Requests

If you’ve got a feature request, you’ve come to the right place! Please relay your request request here, along with any additional details you think might be helpful.

This is not the spot for feedback on current features, only new plausible ideas will be considered. Please be courteous of others and upvote if you believe strongly enough in an idea!

What features do you want to see added to Mailgun?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Increase the max retry time (of soft bounces at least)

In case of soft bounce it can be expected that email should go through. The current maximum retry time of 8 hours is too short if there is lots of email sent. Retry time doesn't scale well in case if most email sending is done during the office hours. Morning emails might be dropped before the less trafic nightly hours. Below is an ESP throttling response from Hotmail

ESP throttling: X → Y 'Z' Server response: 421 421 RP-001 (BAY004-MC2F19) Unfortunately, some messages from IP weren't sent. Please try again. We have limits for how many messages can be sent…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Feature Enhancements  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Detect for multiple emails sent to same person by subject line and time rather than message ID

Right now, Mailgun will send the exact same email to our customers if the message ID is different. Some of our customers have received more than 150 copies of the exact same email, each within seconds of the last, because the message ID# for each is different, even though the subject line and content of the email is identiical. There ought to be a way for Mailgun to notice when it is sending the same email to the same person over and over again.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. provide the option to notify an email address when certain mailgun actions have occurred (bounces, suppressions etc)

Would be great if this could be simple but configurable - or if we could opt to have summary reports at the end of a day/week/month of bounces, suppressions etc. Thanks

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Suppressions listed in logs

It would be better to mark re-try of delivering Suppressed messages as Warning rather then Error.
    this event already cased Error event and was "resolved" by adding email address to Suppression list, 2nd time it should be just a Warning in my opinion.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Forward mail to mailgun server for receiving Emails (instead via MX record)

Hello mailgunners,
    wouldn't it be a nice possibility to receive inbound Emails via forwarding? We mostly cannot point to mailgun mailserver via MX record. But we could configure the Email addresses in question to be forwarded to some-cryptic-mailbox-name-dedicated-to-our-domain@inbound-or-whatever.mailgun.org.
    Greetings from Germany,
    Tobias Jamin

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  New Idea  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Allow a setting to add unsubscribe links depending on the type of email (direct / mailing list)

Currently there is no way to configure your domain to conditionally add an unsubscribe link based on the type of email sent. If I choose to automatically add the mailing list unsubscribe link then it gets added to **ALL** emails from the domain name, even the ones which have nothing to do with my mailing list (e.g. verification emails, password reset, newsletters etc.). Except, in such emails instead of the link i get "%mailing_list_unsubscribe_url%" rather than the actual link.

It would be great if you could configure custom unsubscribe templates for different email addresses. E.g. maillist@mydomain.com would have a mailing…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Feature Enhancements  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add ability to control which fields are sent when using Routes, and then allow the inbound message to be forwarded from Mailgun servers...

Usecase for this is: I'm using Routes to receive inbound mail to a certain domain. And I want to write some code to make decisions on whether to forward that inbound mail on to another email inbox or maybe just discard it. Currently, my only choice to implement a system like this is to have the entire email, with attachments, posted to my web hook, and then I pull out every part of the mail, plus attachments (storing them locally), and if I want to forward on the email, I have to reassemble the message, (with attachments :)) and then…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  New Idea  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Disablement process needs to be improved

The account disable process as currently defined is somewhat user-hostile. There are a couple small items that would make the actual experience less disruptive and easier for everyone to resolve. First and foremost, disabling the logs page on the impacted domain seems to be counter productive. I was hoping to be able to investigate for malicious behavior via those logs. Disabling the page means that I had to waste the time of the support staff to help root cause the problem (thanks again Raquel!). Secondly, the quick-pass onboarding process doesn't call out that inbound messages can impact the operation of…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Please support DMARC on Mailgun and make it easy to deploy

-Please support DMARC on mailgun, and make it easy to deploy.
    - Generate useful TXT entries (just like you already do for SPF and DKIM)
    - Handle the DMARC reports
    - Present DMARC reports in your control panel after decoding the ZIPed XML files the providers send.
    - Convert DMARC failures (and successes?) into web hooks, events and log entries.

78 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  New Idea  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Expand the stripped-text feature to other languages, e.g. german

I'm happy to help and I'm glad you open sourced this library, but please let pull requests in and ship it to production :)

https://github.com/mailgun/talon/pull/23

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Add regex capabilities to search boxes in the website

Especially:
    - mailing list recipients
    - logs

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  External Integrations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. View in browser like mailchimp

There should be a feature emails to contain the "view in browser" feature.

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  New Idea  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Notify account holder when reaching max routes limit

The maximum limit for routes is 5,000. Currently Mailgun does not notify you when you're close to the limit. This is especially risky if you create lots of routes programmatically via the Routes API.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. The failed reason value passed to webhook and classfied in Mailgun event log are different

I find the failed reason value passed to webhook and classfied in Mailgun event log are different.
    e.g. we just can get the reason value like "hardfail" or "old" from webhook, but we use Event api can get "bounce", "suppress-bounce", "old", "suppress-Complaint", .... these many reasons. so we want Mailgun can make the reason values are consistent in both ends.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Forwarding of auto-responses sent to the return-path

Delayed bounce messages sent to the return path are correctly processed by Mailgun (if the MX records are set).

But other kind of messages sent the return path address, like vacation or out of office auto-responses are simply ignored and dropped.

It would be great to be notified when an auto-response is sent to the return path address, by forwarding and/or using a webhook.

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Feature Enhancements  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Provide an option to not re-sign emails when forwarding

Currently, Mailgun re-signs emails using DKIM and modifies mail headers when forwarding incoming mail. This causes Gmail, and possibly other spam filters, to give the email more trust than it should have. Could an option be provided to forward the existing envelope, without re-signing?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Add the ability to set a daily or hourly cap on outgoing messages

This would be a useful safety feature in the event that something goes wrong in user code that is pushing messages thru mailgun.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Dev Suggestion  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Add the event's timestamp in addition to the webhook timestamp

The time of the event is important to us and if the event time is only available from the Event API, then we will have to make additional calls to the Event API for EVERY single notification(delivered, failed, open, click etc), which may add significant load to our (and probably yours) server and network.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Allow sending text/calendar as a multipart/alternative format so Outlook can accept my invites

We've been sending ics files as attachments, but the only way that Outlook will recognize them as calendar events is if you send it as a multipart/alternative. The Mailgun API only supports text or html, which means I have to build a MIME email to send it.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Internal Integrations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Add segmenting options to the list sending API to make it easier to send to a portion of the list

Add some options to segment list sending, or create temporary lists based on number of list members.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base