General Feedback

What do you think of our email service? This is the spot for good, bad, or neutral feedback about our main product.
You can also leave feedback on specific features like Inbound Routing, Message Event Logs, or Email Analytics.
If you have feedback that you believe requires an immediate response, don’t post here. Submit a support ticket or email help@mailgun.com. Feel free to interact with other users if you agree, disagree, or found a solution to their feedback.

Please be courteous of others and upvote if you believe strongly enough in an idea!

1. Revert recent change regarding 400 Bad Request on non-working email addresses

Mailgun provides an excellent service. However, a recent change was made to the API: 400 Bad Request is returned if the address is not valid.

The validation is a deep check that is not commonly performed (in my experience), including checking the domain for a MX record and effective TLD names (using https://publicsuffix.org/list/effective_tld_names.dat).

The issue with this is

1) There are no clear distinction between an invalid API request and invalid content. E.g. you get a 400 bad request if a required parameter is missing and if the email address is invalid

- Currently the documentation states: "Bad Request…

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Setup a Mailgun install without composer required.

Being forced to install composer seems a bit unnecessary. I would love not needing the overhead of composer.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Retrieve Rendered Message via API

The new capability to show a rendering of the message on the dashboard is fantastic, but would be nice if we could request this via the API for display on our side.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Enable MailGun Api to send email with multiple BCC email addresses only.

It's a common scenario when you want to send an email and have a list of recipients which for business purpose needs to be in BCC.

Currently the error which comes from the MailGun Api is "'Bad Request - 'to' parameter is missing' error."

Here are some StackOverflow threads about this
    * http://stackoverflow.com/questions/28503099/how-to-send-mail-only-to-bcc-with-mailgun-php-api
    * http://stackoverflow.com/questions/34400386/do-i-have-to-specify-a-to-recipient

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Accept attachments encoded as Base64 strings in the "/messages" API endpoint

It might be helpful for some users if the "/messages" API endpoint would accept attachments as Base64-encoded strings, with a name and content-type described somehow.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. API : Add an API method to download attachment for inbound emails.

Right now mailgun SDK provides no method to download attachment given we have the URL. Only method is to download the attachment via language specific libraries like open-uri for ruby and we have to pass parameters for authorization. It would be great if there is a pre-built method to download attachments easily

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. API: List all stored messages

It would be nice to have the option to list all the stored messages (excluding the deleted ones).

Today the only way to get the list of stored messages is to get it by the events API, so there's no way to get only the non-deleted messages, or to get all the stored messages in a single request.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. implement a test api key

In Mailgun you should be able to use a test api key to experiment with Mailgun's API. No mail should be sent, but webhooks should trigger normally and you should be able to generate synthetic bounces and complaints without impacting your reputation.

This also lets the developer to setup a development environment that is similar to the production environment without the risk of sending any mails by misstake.

40 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Prevent duplicate emails to same recipient

We had a bug on our end that sent the same message to the same recipient thousands of times—resulting in thousands of spam reports while we were oblivious until months later.

While there are things we could do on our end to improve quality control and ops, etc., it would be amazing if Mailgun could provide a duplicate detection feature. I'm imagining saving a hash of content for sent messages, and catching any time we repeat the content to any recipient. A repeat could be prevent, or an alert sent, or both.

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. allow cancelling an email via API

I'd like to be able to cancel a pending email via the API. eg If we don't get a 'delivered' or 'bounced' webhook within 10 minutes, it probably means that the email was delayed in some way (throttled by receipient or some other soft bounce) and at that point we'd like to cancel the sending of that email so that we can resend through other methods without the recipient later getting a duplicate message once the message finally goes through with you.
    I'd suggest the MessageId as the key for use for cancelling since it is returned from the sending…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Overall API for a health status check

1 feature i need to implement is our service need to check the downstream health periodically. Is there any API that i can call to see if the api mailgun provided is healthy

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Add an md5 hash to the attachment object in the API

I would like to save myself from having download an attachment if I already have a matching file stored locally.

Our organisation sends out alot of product brochure that are mostly all identical.

Rather than download this attachment in our application, I would use the copy I have on hand. Saving alot of bandwidth/server load

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Adding string to subject when forwarding

When creating a route and forwarding and email it would be great if I could add a string to the subject.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Mark a received message as spam

Ability to mark a received message (false positive) as spam through the web interface and/or API.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

General Feedback

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base