Feature Requests

If you’ve got a feature request, you’ve come to the right place! Please relay your request request here, along with any additional details you think might be helpful.

This is not the spot for feedback on current features, only new plausible ideas will be considered. Please be courteous of others and upvote if you believe strongly enough in an idea!

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Have api keys specific to domains.

This would enable finer grained control for development teams that have multiple environments.

For example, credentials to send from development / sending domains would be different than the ones needed to send from the production domain.

131 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

25 comments  ·  Dev Suggestion  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add settings for "Not delivering to previously bounced address" error

A few days ago one of our users got into suppression list because Google (for some unknown reason) hard bounced his CORRECT email. We have doublechecked it and it works alright. Each time Mailgun received hard bounce, it adds the bounced email into suppression list. But sometimes innocent users are getting there too.

So, please add a feature/setting "Hard bounce attempts required to move email into the suppression list", with increasing cooldown, starting from 600 seconds, or something similar. So if it's a wrong email, it will be hardbounced three times and suppressed; it is a result of some bug…

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Dev Suggestion  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Extract the original sender of a forwarded email

How can I get the address of the original sender, when an email has been forwarded to Mailgun?

The chain of events looks like this:

originalSender sends message to someUser
    someUser forwards message to Mailgun
    Mailgun POSTs a parsed message to my server
    Put in another way:

orignalSender (send)-> someUser (forward)-> mailgun (POST)-> myserver

The best I could get is doing a regex on the "body-plain" property.
    The problem is that email clients do send this differently. Here are two examples.

Forwarding from GMail (I added the ...):

body-plain: "---------- Forwarded message ----------\r\nFrom: Kalle Kalleson <kalle.kalleson@mail.com>\r\nDate: 2014-02-13\r\n ..." …

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Dev Suggestion  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add option to move tracking pixel to beginning of email

Our platform allows users to generate emails and send them. Some of them are quite long, and end up being truncated by email clients like Gmail. This results in open events not being tracked for many of the emails, since the tracking pixel is at the bottom and the email was truncated. It would be great to be able to optionally move the tracking pixel to the beginning of the email.

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Support developers - let them view emails sent via your servers (in dev mode)

It'd be oh-so-useful to use MailGun like http://mailcatcher.me/, http://papercut.codeplex.com/ or http://mailtrap.io/ when developing software - you've got most of the infrastructure in-place already!

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Dev Suggestion  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Please add support for assigning a specific attachment to each recipient in batch sending.

At this time Mailgun does not provide support for sending user specific attachments in batch mailing. Please add the support for that. In case of sending thousands of emails, we have to call the mailgun APIs thousands of times which does not look a valid approach. And we can't send URL of the attachments in the emails because the attachments files are stored temporarily on the server and it's confidential.

Adding this feature will be very helpful.

Thanks a lot.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Template Variable Logic

Allow logic to be included in templates to make decisions based on template variable data.

Example:
    {% if %recipient.name% %}
    Hi, %recipient.name%!
    {% else %}
    Hi!
    {% endif %}

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Dev Suggestion  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Stop asking me for 2FA EVERY single time!

Every time I login, it requires a 2-factor auth code.
    Can we set it so it doesn't ask us the code each and every time we login? I login daily and it drives me insane!
    Instead, it could ask us for it once every 30 days or only when signing in on a new browser?

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  3 comments  ·  Dev Suggestion  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Node/Meteor devs need Ability to assign Recipient Variables for batch sending

There's currently no direct way to assign recipient variables for batch sending using Node/Meteor. I'm using the sendRaw method, and I can assign other fields like "to" and "subject," of course, but I can't assign "Recipient-Variables."

I did some googling and found that other devs have the same issue. It can be done with other languages, but it's desperately needed for Node and Meteor.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Implement email notifications about selected issues

There are some delivery issues which usually warrant manual inspection and care by the administrative users. I feel that continuing to send emails to addresses that have ended up in the Bounces list would at least be one of them.

It would be convenient if the user could select certain common delivery issues like this and get a notification about them emailed to a specified email address. This email address could then be a mailing list for administrative personel who could look in to the error and see it they should act upon it.

It is possible to implement this…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Dev Suggestion  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. resend

Add "batch resend" feature for failed messages within a time range.

Why this is an important feature:

If you've used a shared IP and use the mailgun API to send customer receipts, order confirmations etc, and the IP has been flagged for spam or blocked, you then purchase a dedicated IP, and now you need to resend the failed messages, today you have to do this manually, and if you have several hundred or thousands of messages, this is a extremely big waste of time.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Billing - updates on reaching different pricing tiers during a billing cylce

We would really like to have some kind of notification (preferably over email) from Mailgun when we hit a particular pricing tier in a billing cycle. So for example, when volume crosses 10K and a new price point kicks in, we get a notification. Similarly a notification when we hit different price tiers in a month (billing cycle)

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Dev Suggestion  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Option to disable logs for specific domain

This use case involves adding a private domain (its my family na.me). I would love to use mailgun for simple forwarding of first@na.me for various family members without the ability to snoop their messages.

If there were an option to at least disable content logging for this specific domain, I would happily use mailgung for that purpose.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Provide a periodic (weekly) email update with latest deliverability numbers.

When my deliverability swings up or down I often don't see it until days or weeks later. A weekly email with my recent statistics would allow me to track it more easily (and give you the ability to upsell static IP's)

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Support the + alias for non-gmail domains

Currently, the mailbox_validation comes back as false for emails with the + alias trick (joe+alias@example.com) even if the domain is hosted by G-Suite

Support tells me this is a gmail only feature but that's not true, it works at least for hotmail.com and outlook.com emails too.

Why can't you just check the MX records to verify if the MX domain is one that supports the + alias trick?

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Allow for setting a custom SMTP password

The new control panel doesn't allow for the ability to set a password, which means if the password is accidentally reset, we can't go back and edit it and we might have a number of applications using the previous password.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. “There was an error loading your data, please refresh to try again.”

Sections show the error "There was an error loading your data, please refresh to try again." and in some cases the boxes show "undefined / NaN delivered" for statistics

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Do not silently drop nameless attachments over HTTP API

We're currently switching our email sending from SMTP to the HTTP API and noticed that some attachments were being silently dropped.
    The main problem seems to be twofold:
    1) the HTTP API requires non-ASCII filenames to be encoded using the "newish" RFC 7578 and simply ignores filenames encoded using the older RFC 2231.
    2) attachments sent without filenames (or whose filenames were ignored because of #1) are simply dropped without warning, causing broken content to be sent.

Some more technical info can be found in this github issue: https://github.com/anymail/django-anymail/issues/125 (including examples of how to replicate)

Ideally, we'd expect mailgun to…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Email validation function for the new EU region

It is possible please to have the same email validation function in the new EU region, as already existing in the US region, thanks.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base